Saturday, April 21, 2012

Herr Doktor Gans

Well, the big day was finally arrived. Having submitted my dissertation two full weeks earlier, on April 5, it was time for me to present myself to a committee of learned professors and defend my work.

At the appointed hour I was led to the room like a lamb to the slaughter. 4 or 5 other students gathered silently in back to bear witness. My committee of distinguished professors gathered in front, looking slightly annoyed at having to be there. I began my presentation, 30 minutes of slides explaining my work and its relevance, to be followed by questioning from the committee.

Rebecca had picked up a few items from Trader Joes that I laid as offerings on the table before them: water, soda, chocolate.  There were a few questions during the presentation, some nit-picking, some clarification. My classmates sensibly and graciously watched in silence.  After an hour and another round of questioning, I was asked to leave the room while judgement was passed.


They beckoned me to return, where I anticipated a formal presentation and enumeration of the conditions of completion. Instead, the committee members pushed past me to exit as I was coming back. "Congratulations", said one. "Good job", said another. My advisor waited for me in the room. "You passed", she said.

And that was it.

A very anti-climactic end to a lengthy, occasionally stressful process. And I am done (with a very few minor revisions). So I packed up my belongings, walked to the subway, and came home, slightly dazed. But my lovely wife was waiting for me our newest wall decoration:


ps: I hope nobody actually ever calls me "Dr. Will"

No comments:

I am my target audience. Any attempts at humor, offensive comments, captain obvious observations, misspellings, or otherwise inclusions which offend your sensibilities - sorry (shrug of shoulders). It seemed like a good idea at the time.